HBase >> mail # user >> HBase type support

+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-03-13, 16:42
+
David Koch 2013-03-14, 16:51
+
Michel Segel 2013-03-15, 12:25
Re: HBase type support
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 5:25 AM, Michel Segel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> You do realize that having to worry about one type is easier...

For HBase developers, that's true. The side-effect is that those worries
are pushed out into users' applications. Think of the application developer
who's accustomed to all the accoutrements provided by the Management System
part of an RDBMS. They pick up HBase and have none of that. I think the
motivations outlined in the attached document make a good case for bringing
some of that burden out of users' applications.

A bit more freedom...

Support for raw byte[] doesn't go away. In this proposal, bytes remain the
core plumbing of the system.

-n

On Mar 14, 2013, at 11:51 AM, David Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Hi Nick,
> >
> > As an HBase user I would welcome this addition. In addition to the
> proposed
> > list of datatypes A UUID/GUID type would also be nice to have.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > /David
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Nick Dimiduk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'd like to draw your attention to HBASE-8089. The desire is to add type
> >> support to HBase. There are two primary objectives: make the lives of
> >> developers building on HBase easier, and facilitate better tools on top
> of
> >> HBase. Please chime in with any feature suggestions you think we've
> missed
> >> in initial conversations.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> -n