HBase, mail # dev - TableInputFormat improvement to handle lots of small regions

+
Ma, Ming 2011-06-21, 01:18
Re: TableInputFormat improvement to handle lots of small regions
Cosmin Lehene 2011-06-22, 12:08
We overridden getSplits so that it does super.getSplits and then using a configuration variable (splitsPerMap) will output another set of splits that basically merges (start/stop row manipulation) the original splits array.

This can be easily modified to get the number of desired maps instead of regions per map (just a matter of taste here:))

Cosmin
On Jun 21, 2011, at 4:18 AM, Ma, Ming wrote:

> TableInputFormat creates one split/mapper task per region. In the case of lots of small regions, the overhead of map reduce framework becomes overhead. There are some related work items that could address this issue.
>

> 1.       Reduce the number of small regions. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-420
>
> 2.       Improvement in map reduce framework to handle small jobs. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-1220
>
> Another quick way to solve this is to just improve TableInputFormat so that it can pack a configurable number of regions from a given region server into one mapper task. I tested this approach and was able to achieve 40% improvement on map job latency.
>
> Any feedback?
>
> Ming
+
Ophir Cohen 2011-06-30, 15:38