Pig, mail # user - pig needed?

RE: pig needed?
Olga Natkovich 2010-11-16, 18:36
Functions or rather inline macros are coming in Pig 0.9: http://wiki.apache.org/pig/TuringCompletePig

Olga

-----Original Message-----
From: Anze [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: pig needed?
My 0.02 EUR:
I think it's not the learning curve that makes Pig a better tool for some
applications. In my experience the learning curve is even *steeper* for pig
than for raw MR. MR can very easily be learned from Tom White's book while Pig
- well, Pig is in there too, but it's quite a short chapter and lacks good
examples. The online tutorials however are almost non-existent, or at least I
couldn't find any.

Where Pig excels is the power with which you can manipulate data. You can
write complex queries in just a few lines whereas with MR you end up writing
hundreds of lines of code.

The major drawback of Pig however (in my limited experience) is its lack of
functions (or objects :), making any larger piece of code spaghetti-like.
Also, it is still very much evolving so if you are dealing with anything else
than raw HDFS files... well, good luck. :)

While we are at it, I am curios how other users use Pig? I am writing in
PigPen Eclipse plugin and then copy+paste to Pig shell (I wasn't able to make
PigPen work with cluster directly), which is pretty cumbersome. So this is
another downside for me.

But I still love Pig as it makes me control the data much more easily and it
makes writing ad-hoc queries much easier. And it will only get better with
time.

But if your code works in MR, why rewrite it? Let it be, unless you have
problems with the code and needs to be rewritten anyway.

Enjoy!

Anze