Avro, mail # user - Limitations in enum symbols not mentioned in the spec

Re: Limitations in enum symbols not mentioned in the spec
Doug Cutting 2013-02-27, 19:00
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Francis Galiegue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was talking about what is allowed in map keys, not values

So was I.

> if map
> keys were able to be anything other than strings, Avro could not be
> mapped to JSON.

Yes, JavaScript is an example of a programming language whose standard
map implementation doesn't provide support for non-string keys.
JavaScript however is not an example of a programming language whose
identifiers permit a only a limited set of characters, since (I
believe) one can escape arbitrary characters in property accessors
when using the dot syntax.

Doug