Pig >> mail # dev >> Want to contribute

Re: Want to contribute
Hi i have two questions regarding hdfs and jps utility

I am new to Hadoop and started leraning hadoop from the past week

1.when ever i start start-all.sh and jps in console it showing the
processes started

*naidu@naidu:~/work/hadoop-1.0.4/bin$ jps*
*22283 NameNode*
*23516 TaskTracker*
*26711 Jps*
*22541 DataNode*
*23255 JobTracker*
*22813 SecondaryNameNode*
*Could not synchronize with target*

But along with the list of process stared it always showing *" Could not
synchronize with target" *in the jps output. What is meant by "Could not
synchronize with target"?  Can some one explain why this is happening?
2.Is it possible to format namenode multiple  times? When i enter the
 namenode -format command, it not formatting the name node and showing the
following ouput.

*naidu@naidu:~/work/hadoop-1.0.4/bin$ hadoop namenode -format*
*Warning: $HADOOP_HOME is deprecated.*
*
*
*13/05/01 12:08:04 INFO namenode.NameNode: STARTUP_MSG: *
*/*************************************************************
*STARTUP_MSG: Starting NameNode*
*STARTUP_MSG:   host = naidu/127.0.0.1*
*STARTUP_MSG:   args = [-format]*
*STARTUP_MSG:   version = 1.0.4*
*STARTUP_MSG:   build https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/branch-1.0 -r
1393290; compiled by 'hortonfo' on Wed Oct  3 05:13:58 UTC 2012*
*************************************************************/*
*Re-format filesystem in /home/naidu/dfs/namenode ? (Y or N) y*
*Format aborted in /home/naidu/dfs/namenode*
*13/05/01 12:08:05 INFO namenode.NameNode: SHUTDOWN_MSG: *
*SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down NameNode at naidu/127.0.0.1*
*
*

Can someone help me in understanding this? Why is it not possible to format
name node multiple times?