MapReduce >> mail # dev >> Re: [RESULT] - [VOTE] Rename hadoop branches post hadoop-1.x

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:03 AM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2012, at 12:48 AM, Aaron T. Myers wrote:
>
>> Hey Arun,
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Done, all clear; I've also created jira revisions. Please let me know if
>>> you find any issues.
>>>

>> Thanks a lot for making these changes. Two questions:
>>
>> - Now that we've renamed branch-0.23 to branch-2, and since there is as yet
>> no branch-0.23.3, what should be done with JIRAs marked with the 0.23.3
>> version? Perhaps all of these should be updated to 2.0.0?
>>

> Yep, in the process of doing it.
>
>> - We still have the JIRA version 0.24.0, which is presumably still
>> representative of trunk. Given that we will likely never release an 0.24.0,
>> should we rename this version in JIRA as well?
>
> I've created a 3.0.0 version in jira too. I'll update all jiras to point to that instead of 0.24.0.

Is trunk/24 definitely 3.0.0? Given that we don't have any major new
features targeted at it (but not targeted at 2.x) yet, I've been
thinking of it more like 2.1. I also think, given we have PB in place
in both branches, it's likely we can maintain client compatibility
between 23 and 24 in the absence of anything major coming down the
pipe.

Proposal: is it possible to call the JIRA fixVersion "trunk", and then
when we branch off trunk to make a release, rename it at that point to
"2.1" or "3.0" or whatever it gets called?

Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera