Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page

Re: [VOTE] Shall we adopt the "Defining Hadoop" page
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 19:46, Allen Wittenauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2011, at 6:45 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>> Are we really going to go after all the web companies that patch in an
>> enhancement to their current Hadoop build and tell them to stop saying
>> that they are using Hadoop?  You've patched Hadoop many times, should
>> your employer not be able to say they use Hadoop?  I'm -1 on a
>> proposal that does this.
>
>        I think there is a big difference between some company that uses Hadoop with some patches internally and a company that puts out a distribution for others to use, usually for-profit.

Just as the reminder: this whole conversation has started as a result
of EMC announcement of 100% compatible version of Apache Hadoop. So,
Allen's point is right on target here: the above example is simply
incorrect.

Cos