Zookeeper, mail # dev - Does abrupt kill corrupts the datadir?

Does abrupt kill corrupts the datadir?
Laxman 2011-07-13, 06:16
When we stop zookeeper through zkServer.sh stop, we are aborting the
zookeeper process using "kill -9".

129 stop)

130     echo -n "Stopping zookeeper ... "

131     if [ ! -f "$ZOOPIDFILE" ]

132     then

133       echo "error: could not find file $ZOOPIDFILE"

134       exit 1

135     else

136       $KILL -9 $(cat "$ZOOPIDFILE")

137       rm "$ZOOPIDFILE"

138       echo STOPPED

139       exit 0

140     fi

141     ;;

This may corrupt the snapshot and transaction logs. Also, its not
recommended to use "kill -9".

In worst case, if latest snaps in all zookeeper nodes gets corrupted there
is a chance of dataloss.

How about introducing a shutdown hook which will ensure zookeeper is
shutdown gracefully when we call stop?

Note: This is just an observation and its not found in a test.

Laxman