Bigtop, mail # dev - [DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop

[DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-07-09, 03:50
Guys,

I wanna kick-off the discussion on the content of 0.7.0 BOM
Release 0.6.0 was all about stabilization of the stack and I think we got a
great headway on that. The following components/OS were in the frame of the
discussion:
    http://is.gd/H52iVe

My personal take that we need to spend this release cycle working on the
improvements in Bigtop itself: we got enough "technical debts" in the
pipeline that have to be addressed. To name a few:
  - testability/test coverage
  - test framework
  - package improvements
  - build improvements (including performance)

In order to be able to deliver a solid stack again yet improve all things
Bigtop I'd like to focus on the latter, hence keeping the former at bay and
limiting the component updates to the bugfix releases only (if warranted). E.g.

    Hadoop 2.0.5 or later (stabilization branch of Hadoop 2)
    HBase 0.94.9 (update from the Bigtop 0.6.0)
    HCatalog 0.5.0 (same as 0.6.0, as well as following...)
    Zookeeper 3.4.5
    Pig 0.11.1
    Hive 0.10.0
    Sqoop 2
    Oozie 3.3.2
    Whirr 0.8.1
    Mahout 0.7
    Flume 1.3.1
    Giraph 0.2.0
    Hue 2.2.0
    Datafu 0.0.6
    Solr 4.2.1
    Crunch 0.5.0
    Tomcat 6.0.36
    Spark 0.7.3    (it has been in the queue for a long time)

Also, I'd suggest to keep the same set of OSes as last time:

    CentOS/RHEL5
    CentOS/RHEL6
    SLES11
    Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS)
    Fedora 18
    OpenSUSE 12.3
    Ubuntu 12.10

To reiterate, with a known stable version of the stack we can safely focus on
the improvements to the framework and the overall system usability.

Please jump on the discussion  Also, I have opened up the following JIRA to
track the BOM update https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-1023

Thanks,
  Cos