Hadoop >> mail # user >> phases of Hadoop Jobs

phases of Hadoop Jobs
Hi, all

 recently, I was hit by a question, "how is a hadoop job divided into 2
phases?",

In textbooks, we are told that the mapreduce jobs are divided into 2 phases,
map and reduce, and for reduce, we further divided it into 3 stages,
shuffle, sort, and reduce, but in hadoop codes, I never think about
this question, I didn't see any variable members in JobInProgress class
to indicate this information,

and according to my understanding on the source code of hadoop, the reduce
tasks are unnecessarily started until all mappers are finished, in
constract, we can see the reduce tasks are in shuffle stage while there are
mappers which are still in running,
So how can I indicate the phase which the job is belonging to?

Thanks
--
Nan Zhu
School of Electronic, Information and Electrical Engineering,229