Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] - Establish YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop

Re: [VOTE] - Establish YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> The existing discussion and conversation below is the precise reason that I suggested
> Hadoop consider spinning out the rest of its *products* as *projects*. Folks have piped
> up and listed technical reasons as the challenges behind this, and then responded
> with clear community reasons either by their actions, or by other means.
>
> Having distinct communities as indicated by distinct lists of committers isn't wrong -- it's
> usually however exemplified by having a distinct Apache project. It sounds like those
> folks that have been working on YARN for 1.5 years+ as stated would like to have their
> own distinct Apache community.

Not sure that's the case, eg I think we all want to keep yarn in the
same code repository, allow patches that update it along with other
hadoop subprojects, co-design it with MR, test/release it together as
well.  That's not a sign of a distinct community.

I agree though, if people want a distinct community, then making it a
TLP is the right approach.

Thanks,
Eli