Thanks for writing up a proposal Chris.

I think it makes sense to have Common live in HDFS at least for now,
since it's at the bottom of the stack / dependency chain and it's code
is the most intertwined with common, and, per Arun, we tend to work on
common stuff more than MR people. The HDFS project is really a lot
more than HDFS, eg has all the hadoop commands, non-HDFS file system
source, etc but that seems like an OK starting point. We need to
figure out the committers and PMC though since the goal is to just
have the HDFS community (vs the current Hadoop people) but the project
will contain non-HDFS stuff. I'd like to hear from the current Hadoop
committers and PMC members that mostly work on MR and YARN - are you
guys OK losing your current privileges on the HDFS repo? Otherwise we
haven't made much progress (ie HDFS still has multiple communities).

We also need to address the areas where it's not so cut and dry, eg
where there is a single Hadoop project:
- The Hadoop trademark, assume this lives in the HDFS project if Common does?
- The user community, eg the users lists that we *just* merged, shall
we still keep one list?
- We should move the global stuff like "how to get started" docs to
Bigtop, which can point to individual projects resources
- Hadoop 1.x is is maintenance mode, though it still actively gets
patches so we need to consider it. The surgery necessary to split v1
Hadoop is probably not suitable for a sustaining release and not worth
it at this point in the lifetime of this branch. I assume the HDFS
project will then host the Hadoop 1.x branches?  This implies only
members of the HDFS project can commit and release.

Thanks,
Eli