Hive >> mail # user >> DROP TABLE does not respect the IF EXISTS clause

Re: DROP TABLE does not respect the IF EXISTS clause
Hi Mark,

A table.  But it doesn't seem to matter.  I get this error on the DROP,
before even attempting to create a table.  I get the same thing for any
arbitrary table name.  For example:

hive> DROP TABLE IF EXISTS kdsjhfkjhds;
FAILED: Error in semantic analysis: Table not found kdsjhfkjhds
I think I found something, though.  This install is still using the Derby
metastore, and the hive web service is running, so I'm getting errors like
"A read-only user or a user in a read-only database…".  I'm guessing the
error above is just a consequence of this one-user limitation.  So, the
real issue is that the error message reported by "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS" is
mis-leading and obscures the real problem.
thanks,
Marc