Avro >> mail # user >> Avro cross-version serialization format compatibility

Re: Avro cross-version serialization format compatibility
I believe there have been no incompatible changes in the base object
serialization format or schema language since Avro 1.0.  There was one
incompatible change to the file format, from release 1.2 to 1.3.  The
1.2 file format is still readable by post-1.2 releases, but the 1.3+
file format is not readable by pre-1.3 releases.

The format of Avro release numbers are major.minor.bugfix.  Data
formats should only change in major releases.  Minor-releases can have
incompatible API changes but no format changes.  Bugfix releases may
include back-compatible API changes but no incompatible API changes
and no format changes.  In particular, new features may be introduced
in bugfix releases.

The change to the file format in 1.3 was an exception to the above
policy, the only exception to date.

So, to answer your question: Yes, an object serialized with 1.3 will
be readable by 1.7.4 and vice-versa.

Doug