HBase >> mail # user >> HBase Region/Table Hotspotting

Re: HBase Region/Table Hotspotting
Hi Kevin,

Thanks a lot for your great answers.
Regarding Q5. To clarify,

lets say Facebook is using HBase for the integrated messaging/chat/email
system in a very large-scale setup. And schema design of such system can
change over the years (even over the months). Workload patterns may also
change due to different usage characteristics (like the rate of messaging
may be higher during a protest/specific event in a particular country). So,
region/table hotspots have been created at random region servers within the
cluster despite careful schema design and pre-planning.

The facebook team rush to split the hotspotted regions manually and
redistribute them over a new set of physical machines which are recently
added to the system to increase scalability in the face of high user
demand. Now hotspotted region data could be transferred into new physical
machines gradually to handle the situations. Now if the shard (region) size
is small enough then data transfer cost over the network could be minimum
otherwise large volume of data needs to be transferred instantly.

I have found in many places it is discouraged to have a large number of
regions systems. However, would it be possible to have very large number of
regions in a system thus minimizing data transfer cost in case hotspotting
due to workload/design characteristics. Is there any drawbacks or known
side-effects? I am rethinking other possibilities other pre-planned schema
and row-key designs.
Thanks again.

Regards,
Joarder Kamal