Hadoop, mail # general - Is Hadoop a good choice for car insurance/telecom provider calculators?

+
Gabriel Lozano-Moran 2012-11-27, 20:39
Re: Is Hadoop a good choice for car insurance/telecom provider calculators?
Ted Dunning 2012-11-27, 23:17
If your computation fits in Excel, then you won't likely see benefits from
Hadoop.

If your computation becomes thousands to millions of times too large for
Excel, then Hadoop might be a great answer.
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Gabriel Lozano-Moran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hello
>
> I work for a large consumer organisation and we provide as a service for
> our members several calculators where our members can calculate based on
> their profile which is the:
>
> - cheapest energy provider (based on your yearly consumption)
> - cheapest car insurance (based on some criteria such as car brand, model,
> age, accident history, …)
> - cheapest telecommunications provider (based on criteria such as the
> number of text messages sent per month, …)
>
> For each of the calculators we have data for providers. For example we
> have from the different telecommunications providers all their subscription
> plans that allows us to calculation for you which would be the cheapest
> provider.
>
> We have right now a custom solution build in .NET (C#) that uses Excel and
> the calculations are performed on several servers.
>
> We are considering on replacing this solution by a new one and we were
> wondering whether switching to Hadoop and Hive ODBC would be a better
> choice for these kind of calculations. Or are there better solutions?
>
> Any help is strongly appreciated.
>
> With kind regards
>
> Gabriel Lozano-Moran

+