Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Aaron T. Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Chris Douglas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Given that HDFS-347 is a strictly better approach, once committed,
> > there will be ample motivation to add support for other OSes and
> > remove HDFS-2246 entirely. Nobody is confused about this. There's
> > ample precedent for retaining obscure, clumsy features as a temporary
> > stop-gap (e.g., service plugins, opaque blobs of bytes in Tasks,
> > configurable combiner semantics). What's the virtue of insisting on
> > removing this? Unless there was a lot of follow-on work, HDFS-2246
> > doesn't look like a lot of code...
> >

> Though it's not a ton of code, I think that having to support a more
> complex fallback path (i.e. try the HDFS-347 method, then fall back to
> trying the HDFS-2246 method, then fall back to doing normal TCP reads to
> the local DN) will make the code quite a bit hairier for little added
> benefit.

This could be simpler. If HDFS-347 is configured, then use that method. If
it does not work, then fall back to normal TCP reads. If HDFS-2246 method
is configured the current functionality works as is. HDFS-347 overrides
HDFS-2246 if both are configured. That means when configuring HDFS-2246,
the user also needs to turn off HDFS-347.
--
http://hortonworks.com/download/