Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.2-rc0

+
Arun C Murthy 2012-03-29, 22:45
+
Ted Yu 2012-03-29, 22:55
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-03-29, 23:07
+
Eli Collins 2012-04-18, 18:54
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-04-19, 18:26
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-04-19, 18:45
+
Eli Collins 2012-04-19, 19:26
Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.2-rc0
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Eli Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Yep, makes sense - I'll roll an rc0 for 2.0 after.
> >
> > However, we should consider whether HDFS protocols are 'ready' for us to
> commit to them for the foreseeable future, my sense is that it's a tad
> early - particularly with auto-failover not complete.
> >
> > Thus, we have a couple of options:
> > a) Call the first release here as *2.0.0-alpha* version (lots of ASF
> projects do this).
> > b) Just go with 2.0.0 and deem 2.0.x or 2.1.x as the first stable
> release and fwd-compatible release later.
> >
> > Given this is a major release (unlike something obscure like
> hadoop-0.23.0) I'm inclined to go with a) i.e. hadoop-2.0.0-alpha.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >

> Agree that we're a little too early on the HDFS protocol side, think
> MR2 is probably in a similar boat wrt stability as well.
>
> +1 to option a, calling it hadoop-2.0.0-alpha seems most appropriate.

Regarding protocols:
+1 to _not_ locking down "cluster-internal" wire compatibility at this
point. i.e we can break DN<->NN, or NN<->SBN, or Admin command -> NN
compatibility still.
+1 to locking down client wire compatibility with the release of 2.0. After
2.0 is released I would like to see all 2.0.x clients continue to be
compatible. Now that we are protobuf-ified, I think this is doable.
Should we open a separate discussion thread for the above?

Regarding version numbering: either of the proposals seems fine by me.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera