HBase >> mail # user >> Documentation for append

Documentation for append
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the append operation introduced in 0.94.
Is there a documentation or a specification somewhere?

The javadoc for Append does not provide any detail.
The HBase book doesn't mention this operation.
I found some fragmented info in several JIRA issues, but nothing reliable.

>From what I currently understand, this operation allows me to append bytes
to an existing cell.
Does this append by creating a new cell with a new timestamp?
Does this update the cell while maintaining its timestamp?
Assuming I have several versions already, may I choose which version to
append to?

Thanks in advance,
C.