HBase >> mail # user >> Tables & rows disappear

Tables & rows disappear
Apologies for my dumbness.  I know it's some property that I am not setting
correctly.  But every time I stop & start HBase & Hadoop I either lose all
my tables or loose rows on tables in HBase.

Here's what various files contain:

*core-site.xml*
<configuration>
  <property>
    <name>fs.default.name</name>
    <value>hdfs://localhost:9000</value>
  </property>
  <property>
    <name>hadoop.tmp.dir</name>
    <value>/usr/xxx/hdfs</value>
  </property>
</configuration>

*hdfs-site.xml*
<configuration>
  <property>
    <name>dfs.replication</name>
    <value>1</value>
  </property>
  <property>
    <name>dfs.name.dir</name>
    <value>/usr/xxx/hdfs/name</value>
  </property>

  <property>
    <name>dfs.data.dir</name>
    <value>/usr/xxx/hdfs/data</value>
  </property>

*mapred-site.xml*
<configuration>
  <property>
    <name>mapred.job.tracker</name>
    <value>localhost:9001</value>
  </property>
</configuration>

*hbase-site.xml*
<configuration>
  <property>
    <name>hbase.rootdir</name>
    <value>hdfs://localhost:9000/hbase</value>
  </property>
  <property>
    <name>hbase.tmp.dir</name>
    <value>/usr/xxx/hdfs/hbase</value>
  </property>
</configuration>
What am I missing?  Please help.  Thanks.