Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] - Establish YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop

Re: [VOTE] - Establish YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> So we might better just vote on (2)
>>> versus (3)?
>>
>> Works for me.  What do others think?
>
> Can you clarify more on what you are proposing we vote on?
>
> What does (2) mean?

"Distinct MR, HDFS and YARN committers" means that MR, HDFS, and YARN
each have their own set of committers. Today we have two sets (MR and
HDFS) so under this option we would have three sets of committers.
(And technically a 4th set which is the PMC which is shared across
sub-projects and can commit to all of them).

> Since (1) was dropped, does it mean we seed the YARN list with folks who have been contributing/reviewing patches on YARN?

The vote would need to spell out how we would seed the YARN list. Per
above I'd suggest seeding it with the current MR committers - ie the
people who can commit to YARN today - there's no need to actively
exclude people we already trust to commit to this code, and there's
obvious downside to excluding them, for example, some patches need to
span sub-projects (same reason all HDFS/MR committers can commit to
Common).  If/when the sub-projects become TLPs (ie when there are real
distinct boundaries between the projects) seems like a good time to
divvy things up.

Personally I'm in favor of #3, I liked Chris D's original proposal to
just merge all the committer lists and call it a day!

Thanks,
Eli