Accumulo, mail # dev - GSoC proposal: Ambari for Accumulo - forever : )

Re: GSoC proposal: Ambari for Accumulo - forever : )
Keith Turner 2013-04-25, 16:18
On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Andres Danter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Excellent feedback, Keith. Thanks.
>
> I should have mentioned the REST API in the proposal.  I'm not sure if I
> can use it for the CLI.  I will certainly try, since I would like to adhere
> to the Ambari architecture as much as possible.
>
> As for your other points:
>
> *3.1.1 loggers do not exists in 1.5 ... so would only need to consider them
> if working w/ 1.4 .  I suppose you would want to work Accumulo 1.4, since
> that the current stable release.*
>
> Yes. I was going to work with Accumulo 1.4, but it is good to know that the
> loggers are not supported in 1.5.
>
> *3.1.3
>   Accumulo supports reading system config from xml local file and then
> zookeeper (whats set in zookeeper takes precedence).  The nice thing about
> setting something a config zookeeper, is that process restart is not
> required.*
>
> Good to know this too.  Does this only affect Zookeeper?  I should
> distinguish between processes that may need restarts to load a
> configuration vs those that do not.  Is the Zookeeper process the only one
> like that?

Not sure about zookeeper, I think it requires a restart.  Accumulo can
optionally store a lot of its configuration in zookeeper.  When Accumulo
configuration stored in zookeeper is changed, Accumulo processes may pick
up these config changes immediately w/o restart.   Some properties do
require a restart when changed in zookeeper.  This is documented in
Accumulo config documentation.

> *For section 3.2, are you proposing adding features to the existing Ambari
> GUI?  If so, are the Accumulo specific?*
>
> I am proposing to add features to the existing Ambari GUI.  The idea here
> is that something like user access controls can be generalized so that any
> Hadoop component being managed by Ambari is able to utilize them.  I'm
> hoping that the Ambari PMC is OK with me doing this.  I do not want to
> introduce any Accumulo-specific features that would make no sense for other
> components.
> *
> It seems that Ambari relies on RPMs.  Its possible you may have to spend
> time creating Accumulo RPMs that are useful for Ambari. You may want to
> think about allocating some time for this.  Christopher and John can give
> you more info about the current state of Accumulo RPMs.*
>
> This is a very good point.  While building RPMs is not difficult, it does
> require time to setup the configuration and test the builds.  I will
> include time for this in the proposal.

I suppose I am really thinking about are scripts for starting and stopping
Accumulo.  For an RPM to be useful it should provide good /etc/init.d
scripts for starting and stopping Accumulo processes.   I am not sure what
the status of these scripts is in the various RPMs built by Accumulo.  This
may not even be a concern, I am not sure how Ambari starts and stop
services.   If you have not already, its something to consider when
scheduling.