HBase >> mail # dev >> backporting HBASE-3777 to 0.90

+
Ted Yu 2011-09-28, 16:29
+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2011-09-28, 16:47
+
Ted Yu 2011-09-28, 16:55
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-09-28, 19:04
+
Gary Helmling 2011-09-28, 19:06
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-09-28, 19:17
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-09-28, 19:24
+
Ted Yu 2011-09-28, 19:26
+
Ted Yu 2011-09-28, 19:27
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-09-28, 19:29
+
Ted Yu 2011-09-28, 19:33
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-09-28, 19:40
+
Ted Yu 2011-09-28, 20:11
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-09-28, 20:39
+
Ted Yu 2011-09-28, 21:30
+
Shrijeet Paliwal 2011-09-28, 21:41
+
Ted Yu 2011-09-28, 21:46
+
Shrijeet Paliwal 2011-09-28, 21:56
Re: backporting HBASE-3777 to 0.90
On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I'd switch from -1 to +1 if we can get +1s from people who have tried
> > it on clusters with several different real existing apps written by
> > several different teams.
>

> This makes sense. My +1 was partly an agreement that I'd try it.

I think I can agree to this as well.  Despite my previous messages, my
bigger concern is subtler side effects from scope of the change, which has
had longer to bake in 0.92/trunk.  If the patch can be verified in enough
real workloads, then I can support it with suitable messaging in the
release.

Ultimately I think it would be good to more directly expose a cluster
"connection" as an entry point to the client APIs.  Then client code could
share connections or not, however it chose.  The current dependence on
Configuration and hiding under HTable leaves us in an odd gray area where
it's not clear if the current behavior is expected/needs to be supported, or
just an implementation detail.  But that's a whole separate discussion that
may or may not be worth it. :)
+
Ted Yu 2011-10-05, 03:44
+