Bigtop, mail # dev - [DISCUSS] Using --signoff option with git am when committing patches

[DISCUSS] Using --signoff option with git am when committing patches
Mark Grover 2013-09-04, 21:58
Hi fellow developers,
It's great that we encourage contributors to submit patches using git
format-patch. It allows us to attribute credit properly to the contributor
in the git along with other nice things.

For committing such patches, the command we typically use git am. However,
I would like to propose that committers use "git am --signoff" instead when
committing the patches.

The only difference with --signoff flag is that the name of the committer
who committed the code also shows up in the comment of the commit.

Here is an example,

When using "git am", the commit log looks like:
commit 00aa88222bbdddl
Author: Mr. Contributor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:   Fri Jul 26 18:00:00 2013 -0400

    BIGTOP-X: Test commit

When using "git am --signoff", the commit log looks like:
commit 00aa88222bbdddl
Author: Mr. Contributor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:   Fri Jul 26 18:00:00 2013 -0400

    BIGTOP-X: Test commit

    Signed-off-by: Ms. Committer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
The commit is still attributed to the contributor but I think it would be
nice for logistical reasons to have the committer name in the log messages
of the commit.

Anyways, I have started documenting this at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+Contribute

Please let me know what you think!

Mark