Hadoop >> mail # user >> cost model for MR programs

+
bharath vissapragada 2009-08-25, 03:00
+
indoos 2009-08-29, 02:37
Re: cost model for MR programs
Hey Bharath,
There has been some work in the research community on predicting the runtime
of Hadoop MapReduce, Pig, and Hive jobs, though the approaches are not
always cost-based. At the University of Washington, they've worked on
progress indicators for Pig; see
ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/tr/2009/07/UW-CSE-09-07-01.PDF. At the
University of California, Berkeley, they've worked on predicting multiple
metrics about query progress, first in NeoView, and subsequently in Hadoop;
see http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~archanag/publications/ICDE09.pdf for the
NeoView results.

Some preliminary design work has been done in the Hive project for
collecting statistics on Hive tables. See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-33. Any contributions to this
work would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Jeff