Zookeeper >> mail # user >> java client watches inconsistently triggered on reconnect

java client watches inconsistently triggered on reconnect
Hi,

I've observed an inconsistent behavior in java client watches. The
inconsistency relates to the behavior after the client reconnects to the
zookeeper ensemble.

The documentation is not completely clear for me on this but if I am not
mistaken than after the client reconnects to the ensemble only those
watches should trigger which should have been triggered also if the
connections was not lost. This means if I watch for changes in node /foo
and there is no change there than my watch should not be triggered on
reconnecting to the ensemble.
This is not always the case in the java client.

I've debugged the issues and I could locate the case when the watch is
always triggered on reconnect. This is consistently happening if I connect
to a follower in the ensemble and I don't do any operation which goes
through the leader.
Looking at the code I see that the client stores the lastzxid and sends
that with its request. This is 0 on startup and will be updated everytime
from the server replies. This lastzxid is also sent to the server after
reconnect together with watches. The server decides which watch to trigger
based on this lastzxid probably because that should mean the last known
state of the client. If this lastzxid is 0 than all the watches are
triggered.
I've checked why is this lastzxid 0. I thought it shouldn't be since there
was already a request to the server to set the watch and in the reply the
server could have sent back the zxid but it turns out that it sends just 0.
Looking at the server code I see that for requests which doesn't go through
the leader the follower server just sends back the same zxid that the
client sent.

Could anyone who is more familiar with the codebase comment on this. I
think this is bug and doesn't seems to be a straightforward way to fix it.
(I've done most of the tests with 3.3.3 server/client but this seems to be
the case in other versions)

Regards,
Botond Hejj
Morgan Stanley | Technology