Zookeeper, mail # user - Authentication mechanism

+
Jaewoong Choi 2012-11-21, 19:46
+
Flavio Junqueira 2012-11-22, 21:23
+
Jaewoong Choi 2012-11-26, 05:07
Re: Authentication mechanism
Michi Mutsuzaki 2012-11-26, 19:11
Hi Jaewoong,

>>> 1. Is the above scenario true?

Yes. Initially the root znode ("/") is open to world:anyone. You need
to set the permission as a part of your bootstrap process.

>>> 2. Isn't there any access control on "Connect" permission level regardless of znode-level ACLs? For example, can we deny client connection before its access to any znode when it comes without a valid authInfo?

No. I think people usually set connection level ACLs outside of zookeeper.

--Michi

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Jaewoong Choi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I believe I've read it several times.  I guess you refers to the following statement:
> "... When a client connects to ZooKeeper and authenticates itself, ZooKeeper associates all the ids that correspond to a client with the clients connection. "
>
> From my understanding based on my real tests, client authenticates by calling ZooKeeper#setAuthInfo.  In other words, authentication never happens if client bypass authentication #setAuthInfo.  Could you please confirm and clarify?  Haven't you been able to reproduce the scenario I described below?
>
> Thanks,
> Jaewoong
>
> On Nov 22, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Flavio Junqueira wrote:
>
>> Hi Jaewoong,
>>
>> I'm not sure if you have had a chance to look at the documentation:
>>
>>       http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.5/zookeeperProgrammers.html#sc_ZooKeeperAccessControl
>>
>> My understanding is that a client authenticates when it connects.
>>
>> -Flavio
>>
>> On Nov 21, 2012, at 8:46 PM, Jaewoong Choi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I got a question regarding ZooKeeper's authentication mechanism.  Let me describe a scenario first.
>>>
>>> 1. ZooKeeper server started up with a customized AuthenticationProvider (e.g. XyzAuthenticationProvider which authentication scheme is "xyz") enabled with -Dzookeeper.authProvider.1=class.path.to.XyzAuthenticationProvider option.
>>> 2. But all znodes (including "/" and "/zookeeper") haven't been assigned any ACL of neither this "xyz" scheme or "auth" scheme s.t. they are open to the world by default.