Pig >> mail # dev >> [GSoC 2012] Self Introduction and interested projects

Re: [GSoC 2012] Self Introduction and interested projects
See comments inline.

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 6:52 AM, grassonsand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am a Ph.D. student in Computer Science and have 4-year Java programming
> experience focusing on Java Web development.
> In the candidate projects in PIG, I am interested in PIG-2586 (A better
> plan/data flow visualizer) and PIG-2599 (Mavenize Pig).
>
> In my on-going research project, I am in charge of (1). web user interface
> development and (2). build system. Now I am working on adding hadoop
> capability to the project. The main reason I am interested in the PIG
> project is that I can make a contribution to the PIG community based on my
> previous experience,  and learn from the participant in GSoC this year and
> benefit my on-going research project at the same time.
>
> (1). User interface development
> I have used several graphic libraries to visualize semantic data and our own
> data set, e.g., Jung, graphviz, BIRT, and several plot plugins in jquery.
> Therefore, I am interested in working on a new tool for PIG visualizer.
> After looking through the bug issue, I have several questions:
>    (i) As both swing and javascript are mentioned, is this project a web or
> standalone application?
>    (ii) As ruby-graphviz is included, Is ruby required for this project?

I envision two visualize components in Pig. One is a lightweight
visualizer invoked by Grunt, which should be fast and concise, and
integrated into explain command. The other is a standalone composer
similar to PigPen, which should be much powerful. PIG-2586 is intended
to track the first, but Russel's comment is talking about the second.
Both are acceptable as a GSoC project. I leave it to Russel.

> (2). Build system
> The code base of my research project is 40K loc and the build script was
> written in Ant. Part of my duty is to convert the ant build script to maven
> and maintain the build script. Therefore, Mavenize Pig is of interest to me
> too. The build.xml in PIG project is more complicated than the one I worked
> before. It includes ant, maven and ivy. Do we need to use maven to do all
> the tasks and get rid of all the dependency on ant, maven and ivy?

Yes