Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Drop version part of jar filenames in $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib

+
Christopher 2013-05-06, 21:26
Re: Drop version part of jar filenames in $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib
Personally, it's really nice to me when I'm wondering "what version of
Accumulo is installed?" and I can easily answer that with an `ls`.

However, by the same argument, bundling a version file somewhere is just
as trivial and fits the same use-case (sans my ability to remember that
said file exists and where it lives).

On 5/6/2013 5:26 PM, Christopher wrote:
> Why do we need the version part of the filename in $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib?
>
> It seems to me that it would be cleaner to unpack the tarball on top
> of an existing $ACCUMULO_HOME/ and overwrite the jars in lib/.
>
> For the RPM/DEB, the versions of the files are tracked in the RPMDB
> (or equivalent DEB database), so they aren't needed there either.
>
> It would make our scripts slightly more manageable (files have a
> predictable name that doesn't need to be updated each version).
>
> I'm curious what the argument(s) against dropping the version from the
> jars in lib/ are.
>
> The way we copy jars currently to lib/ is with the
> maven-dependency-plugin, and that already has a built-in feature to
> drop the version part of the filename when it copies. It seems to make
> sense, and I see no argument against it.
>
> --
> Christopher L Tubbs II
> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
+