Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release

Re: [VOTE] 0.23.3 release
On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Robert Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for the info Owen I was not aware of that, I can see at the
> beginning of the twiki
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToReleasePostMavenization that it is kind
> of implied by the skip this section comment.  But, I was just confused
> because to do an official release I need to change the version number in
> several different places, and I didn¹t think that is was all that kosher
> to do that directly in the tags area.

Please don't make edits in the tags area.

>  It also seems to be a bit different
> then what is happening on branch-2.

Branch 2 also has issues, which we've also been ironing out. The
branch-2.0.1-alpha and branch-2.0.2-alpha will be deleted soon.

> I was planning on deleting the branch once the vote for 0.23.3 finished,

That would be fine.

> but I can delete it now if you would prefer and the roll back the version
> numbers on branch-0.23 to be 0.23.3? Or would it be 0.23.3-SNAPSHOT still?

You can wait for 0.23.3 to clean up. The only odd part of that is that
the 0.23.3 tag won't be on the branch-0.23.

With Ant, we could just override the version on the command line.
Clearly Maven is a little pickier. You could:
1. Set the version to 0.23.3
2. Check in
3. Make the tag
4. Set the version to 0.23.4-SNAPSHOT
5. Check in

I'd also be ok with just waiting with 4+5 until the vote passes.
Thoughts? (Of course as discussed this would be more about 0.23.4 :) )

>  I also want to be sure that we want to not allow anyone to check anything
> in for a week+ on branch-0.23.  There are a few things I know of that are
> almost ready but are not Blockers.

Sure. That makes sense.

-- Owen