Avro >> mail # dev >> Avro governance and Avro Enhancement Proposals

Avro governance and Avro Enhancement Proposals
Hello all,

I had some discussions with cutting recently about moving to an AEP (Avro
Enhancement Proposal) process for Avro, similar to the PEP process for
Python (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/).  PEP-0001 (
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/) should give a pretty good (but
longer) description of this process.

In short, major and important changes would be put forward as an AEP.  An
AEP would have an editor who owned the document, worked to build consensus
and shepherds the document to approval.  Approval of an AEP would be done
via a vote of the PMC.

AEPs could be changes to the implemenations or the processes surrounding
Avro development (like how we format source code, how we handle code
reviews, how we perform releases, etc).

AEPs could be managed in the wiki or in Subversion and published to the
website.  I'm interested in hearing what people think in this area.  I'm
somewhat partial to managing them in Subversion as that:

 * Puts the history in one spot.
 * Allows us to update AEPs with the same patch as implementing a new
feature in the code.
 * Keeps things under the appropriate licensing and approval processes that
we have now, especially since anyone can edit the wiki.

As part of this, I think that it makes sense to break some things out of the
specification and out of their current locations on the website:

 * GenAvro IDL should become a new AEP.
 * An AEP should be written to describe container files and that can be
removed from the spec.
 * RPC mechanisms should be AEPs rather than part of the core spec.

As part of this, if each AEP lists which implementations support the given
AEP, it would also help solve the issue being discussed in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-358 (specifying levels of the
Avro implementations).

Thoughts?

 - Bruce