Hadoop, mail # user - Hadoop on physical Machines compared to Amazon Ec2 / virtual machines

Re: Hadoop on physical Machines compared to Amazon Ec2 / virtual machines
Jane Wayne 2012-06-01, 08:23
Sandeep,

How are you guys moving 100 TB into the AWS cloud? Are you using S3 or
EBS? If you are using S3, it does not work like HDFS. Although data is
replicated (I believe within an availability zone) in S3, it is not
the same as HDFS replication. You lose the data locality optimization
feature of Hadoop when you use S3, which runs counter to the "sending
code to data" paradigm of MapReduce. Mind you, traffic in/out of S3
equates to costs incurred as well (when you lose data locality
optimization).

I hear that to get PBs worth of data into AWS, it is not uncommon to
drive a truck with your data on some physical storage device (in fact,
Amazon will help you do this).

Please update us, this is an interesting problem.

Thanks,