Avro >> mail # user >> Issue writing union in avro?

Re: Issue writing union in avro?
It is well documented in the specification:
http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/spec.html#json_encoding

I know others have overridden this behavior by extending GenericData and/or
the JsonDecoder/Encoder.  It wouldn't conform to the Avro Specification
JSON, but you can extend avro do do what you need it to.

The reason for this encoding is to make sure that round-tripping data from
binary to json and back results in the same data.  Additionally, unions can
be more complicated and contain multiple records each with different names.
Disambiguating the value requires more information since several Avro data
types map to the same JSON data type.  If the schema is a union of bytes and
string, is "hello" a string, or byte literal?  If it is a union of a map and
a record, is {"state":"CA", "city":"Pittsburgh"}  a record with two string
fields, or a map?   There are other approaches, and for some users perfect
transmission of types is not critical.  Generally speaking, if you want to
output Avro data as JSON and consume as JSON, the extra data is not helpful.
If you want to read it back in as Avro, you're going to need the info to
know which branch of the union to take.