Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Linking two sites via two Zookeeper instances

Re: Linking two sites via two Zookeeper instances
Jordan Zimmerman wrote:
> IMO ZooKeeper is not well suited to a cross-data center scenario. Instead, have single data center islands and use methodology described by Camille Fournier in this article (http://whilefalse.blogspot.com/2012/12/building-global-highly-available.html).

Thanks for the link!

My current picture of how to do it would be very similar to the one that
Camille described, except that I only would need an Observer node in a
remote data center, e.g. this node would only be there to speed up read
access through local caching.

In addition I would not need one cluster that guarantees agreement and
order across all data centers. Within one data center I need agreement
and order, but across data centers I only need agreement and I can live
with latency between the original write in the one data center and the
possible availability of that write in the remote data center.

I can solve this use case by putting a zookeeper cluster in each data
center with observer node(s) in remote data centers. I only thought that
it would reduce the maintenance overhead if I could realize this use
case via one zookeeper cluster and configuration instead of setting up
several of them.

--
Christian Schuhegger