Accumulo, mail # dev - GIT

Re: GIT
David Medinets 2013-05-23, 00:42
On the other hand, Google uses a single branch (
http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Development-at-Google) with over 2,000
projects, in a single code trunk containing hundreds of millions of code
lines, with more than 5,000 developers accessing the same repository.

At work (not Google) we have a master branch. For development I create a
branch something like
dmedinets/20130522/accumulo_2343/description_of_intent. The slashes provide
a flat hierarchical namespace just for convenience. I include the date
because I sometimes have several branches at once. I include the intent as
well as the JIRA ticket in case I want to take more than one approach.

When you first start working with Git, it pays to be cautious. Co-workers
have lost work by using the wrong pattern of git commands. I will post the
git commands that I use; which should not be considered authoritative,
correct, or even a suggestion. 8:)