On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Todd Lipcon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But I still think this discussion is silly, and we're not ready to do it.

+1

Despite many allusions to problems that this project split proposal would
purport to solve, I honestly don't see the problems. Yes, Hadoop has had
community problems in the past, but from my observation these have largely
been addressed or are improving. We've been adding committers and PMC
members, making more frequent releases, making sure that features show up
on trunk first before other branches, generally been collaborating better,
etc. Do we disagree from time to time? Sure. Are these disagreements across
the sub-project boundaries? Not in my experience. Given that, what _actual
problems_ will a project split solve?

I _do_ see plenty of problems that a project split would create, such as
difficulties with changes that span the projects, difficulties maintaining
the interfaces of code that's shared by the projects, difficulties of a
split user@ mailing list, etc. All of _these_ problems are well known to us
from the previous "project split" which just split the mailing lists, code
repos, and issue trackers. In the last few months, we've thought better of
2/3 of those decisions and actually merged back the repos and mailing
lists. It's quite surprising to me to see many folks on this thread who
supported these merges actually being in favor of splitting them again.

Chris, you can dismissively say that these are "technical difficulties" but
all of these problems directly impact the community as well. When the
project repos were split, I personally helped many struggling users just
getting their work environment set up to _compile_ the code. This was a
pain for everyone, so we undid it. When the lists were split, users
struggled to know where they should email their questions, and there was a
lot of wasted effort telling folks to go ask this list or that. This was a
pain for everyone, so we undid it. I think both of these changes have been
tremendous _positive_ impacts on the community, and the haste with which
we're rushing to undo them is very surprising to me.

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera