Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack

+
Matt Foley 2012-11-30, 01:51
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-11-30, 01:25
+
Matt Foley 2012-11-30, 02:26
+
Chuan Liu 2012-11-30, 03:22
+
Bikas Saha 2012-11-30, 04:27
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 11:21
Re: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack
I'd like to change my binding vote to -1, -0, -1.

Considering the hadoop stack/ecosystem as a whole, I think the best cross
platform scripting language to adopt is jruby for following reasons:

1. HBase already adopted jruby for HBase shell, which all current platform
vendors support.
2. We can control the version of language implementation at a per release
basis.
3. We don't have to introduce new dependencies in the de facto hadoop
stack. (see 1).

I'm all for improving multi-platform support. I think the best way to do
this is to have a thin native script wrappers (using env vars) to call the
cross-platform jruby scripts.

__Luke

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 3:21 AM, Luke Lu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for the voting thread. Otherwise, many committers would have missed
> it.
>
> I agree that this is a superset of code change that has larger impact than
> typical code change.
>

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Matt Foley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> > Finally, this is code change, so I'm not sure why we are doing a vote.
>>

>> I view this as a tools issue, that affects questions that go beyond the
>> one-time choice of how to write (or re-write) saveVersion.sh.  Also Aaron
>> (atm) recommended that I bring it to the list.  So here we are :-)

+
Steve Loughran 2012-11-30, 13:29
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 14:02