MapReduce, mail # user - How to combine input files for a MapReduce job

RE: How to combine input files for a MapReduce job
Agarwal, Nikhil 2013-05-13, 07:55
Hi,

@Harsh: Thanks for the reply. Would the patch work in Hadoop 1.0.4 release?

-----Original Message-----
From: Harsh J [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 1:03 PM
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to combine input files for a MapReduce job

For "control number of mappers" question: You can use http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/api/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/lib/CombineFileInputFormat.html
which is designed to solve similar cases. However, you cannot beat the speed you get out of a single large file (or a few large files), as you'll still have file open/close overheads which will bog you down.

For "which file is being submitted to which" question: Having
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-3678 in the version/distribution of Apache Hadoop you use would help.

--
Harsh J