The contrib directories are where the source of the various contribs live.
You only need to compile them if you plan to use a given contrib.

Piggybank is a collection of useful UDFs:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PIG/PiggyBank

Zebra:
http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.7.0/zebra_overview.html

Penny: