HBase, mail # user - HBase - prioritizing writes over reads?

Re: HBase - prioritizing writes over reads?
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2013-04-25, 17:17
Short answer is no, there's no knob or configuration to do that.

Longer answer is it depends. Are the reads and writes going to different
regions/tables? If so, disable the balancer and take it in charge
by segregating the offending regions on their own RS.

I also see you have the requirement to take incoming data not matter what.
Well, this currently cannot be guaranteed in HBase since a RS failure will
incur some limited unavailability while the ZK session times out, the logs
are replayed and the regions are reassigned. I don't know what kind of SLA
you have but it sounds like even without your reads problem you need to do
something client-side to take care of this. Local buffers maybe? It would
work as long as you don't need to serve that new data right away (unless
you also start serving from the local buffer, but it's getting complicated).

Hope this helps,

J-D