HBase >> mail # user >> RE: write throughput in cassandra, understanding hbase

+
S Ahmed 2013-01-22, 18:38
+
lars hofhansl 2013-01-22, 19:03
+
Kevin Odell 2013-01-22, 19:06
+
S Ahmed 2013-01-22, 19:12
+
Ian Varley 2013-01-22, 19:23
Re: write throughput in cassandra, understanding hbase
I've also seen benchmarks where HBase outperforms Cassandra on write
throughput. There was one of those recently, a YCSB result posted on HN
somewhere if I recall correctly... which lead to a bit of controversy
because of how the YCSB HBase client was configured.

The state of benchmarks in this space is absolutely dreadful. Either there
is a cherry picked (or worse) result from a vendor, or an academic paper
that gets piled on from all sides for clueless misconfiguration. This is
because, firstly, scale is complicated, and these systems expose many knobs
which must be tuned with deep understanding; and secondly, there is a lack
of industry standard and accepted benchmark suites that provide some
coverage for common use cases (like http://www.tpc.org/tpch/). YCSB is a
very early start. It's used often, but only because there is nothing better
out there.

Really, you should build a full system model of your application, and test
systems like HBase and Cassandra in that context. For example if I was
building a webtable, I might modify a crawler (such as Heritrix) to write
to HBase, and if I have some analysis in mind, I might mock up some
MapReduce jobs that iterate over the real data as it is collected, and a
REST service interface to the data (which became HBase Stargate) and
instrument, instrument, instrument, and then analyze the metrics through
the lens of the service requirements. (I have done exactly this at a prior
employer.)

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Ian Varley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One notable design difference is that in Cassandra, every piece of data is
> handled by a quorum of independent peers, whereas in HBase, every piece of
> data is handled by a single process at any given time (the RegionServer).
> HBase deals with data replication by delegating the actual file storage
> down to the underlying distributed file system (HDFS) which makes its own
> replicas in a pipelined way (typically, 3 of them).
>
> In Cassandra, by contrast, the client deals directly with multiple
> replicas, and a common configuration is to "ACK" a write back to the client
> as successful as soon as 1 of the N replica you're sending it is
> successful. You can also wait to get more ACKs, for stronger guarantees: if
> the # of write ACKs you wait for (W), plus the total # of replicas you read
> from for a successful read (R) exceeds the total number of replicas for any
> datum (N), then your data is fully consistent. If not, then it's
> "eventually consistent". As you'd imagine, this is faster than being fully
> consistent (but, generally speaking, harder to program against, because
> there are many more possible failure scenarios to think of).
>
> You can, of course, change most of these parameters, in either system;
> which is why it's really important to know if you're comparing apples to
> apples. :) One key difference, though, is that there's no "Eventual
> Consistency" option in HBase: writes are always atomic and consistent (to a
> single row). That's also why you can do stuff like atomic increment, check
> & put, etc.
>
> Ian
>
> On Jan 22, 2013, at 1:12 PM, S Ahmed wrote:
>
> Thanks, I think Lars's comment hints to what might be one reason.
>
> I don't have a cluster setup to test, I'm really an enthusiast (I'm
> currently going through the codebase and trying to get a low level feel for
> what's going on) and want to know what the possible technical reason is
> (both cassandra and hbase are designed differently, so was curious what
> could be at the root of the issue).
>
> I'm not here to start a flame war or anything so please don't take it that
> way.
>
> Where do you see that HBase is doing only 2-3k writes/s?
> I must have mis-read it or that was from another benchmark.
>
> What I was thinking is that designs have tradeoffs, and possible
> cassandra's design was built where write throughput was more important, at
> the cost of x, while hbase's design was more suited for y (which maybe
> range scans is?).....
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)