With my work hat on I would request the 4.x line continue for as long as
HBase 1.x does. Probably it would be best if eventually there is only one
active 4.x branch that follows the HBase 1.x minor release progression. So
it would target 1.4 today, then 1.5, then 1.6 (and I'm not sure there will
be more 1.x after that but who can say, releasing is an emergent community
process)