HBase >> mail # user >> Schema design question - Hot Key concerns

Re: Schema design question - Hot Key concerns
Thanks for your response.

As always ... it is currently on an RDBMS having scalability concerns
... and hence a nosql is being evaluated for this. :)

In the quora link posted, Todd mentions that "if the updates are in
the 100 updates/sec range on the hot row" it may still be ok. I guess,
that was one of the questions I had as in how hot is "hot"? If an app
expects 100 updates/sec to a row ... perhaps that is not considered
hot with HBase?

The only reason I'm even considering this is because the updates are
to MemStore ... so, in my mind this is basically concurrently updating
a SortedMap of SortedMaps etc in memory ... so, how drastic is the
locking is there really?

Also - given the sparse column updates (i.e. mutually exclusive), I
was wondering if that reduces locking in some way.

Michael ... on your #2 ... why would rows be locked when people are
querying? Wouldn't they be querying by a specific timestamp ... so
they would basically see a row as of that timestamp?

On #1, yes - I think that's the complexity moving this into app.

One other design thought we had was to have it as a tall table and
have a "BOOKED_QTY" column that we do live rollups to get a
SEATS_BOOKED which can then be used in lieu of SEATS_AVAILABLE (if we
know the TOTAL ... that doesn't change for a SHOW_ID)

With columnar db, column level rollups are _supposed_ to be fast ...
but again ... question is "how fast". Is there a general benchmark on
this? (i.e. similar to the 100 updates/sec sort of rough ball park
figure).

Are metrics collected by OpenTSDB like applications generally
aggregated via MR jobs? Or are there live rollups happening when user
specifies some criteria? If it is live, what sort of rollup times (say
n ms per million rows, sort of ball park ...) can one expect?

A more general question: I've been reading about Increments and how
there are some optimizations to allow Increments to be 'batched' up
... is that a 0.92 feature? In this case ... for instance, if I were
to keep my TOTAL_AVAILABLE separately and fire increments /decrements
against that row ... would it alleviate the hot row scenario.

Just trying to see what possibilities exist to solve the constraints.
--Suraj