HBase, mail # dev - [UPDATE] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

+
Stack 2013-07-27, 21:52
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-28, 18:14
+
Stack 2013-07-28, 23:01
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-29, 00:43
+
Stack 2013-07-29, 15:16
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-29, 15:45
+
Stack 2013-07-29, 17:26
+
Elliott Clark 2013-07-29, 17:51
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-29, 18:43
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-29, 18:50
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-07-30, 01:46
+
Ted Yu 2013-07-30, 04:23
+
Stack 2013-07-30, 04:47
+
ramkrishna vasudevan 2013-07-29, 18:37
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-30, 02:02
+
Stack 2013-07-30, 03:44
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-30, 04:11
+
Elliott Clark 2013-07-30, 04:51
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-30, 05:16
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-07-30, 20:55
+
Elliott Clark 2013-07-30, 21:37
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-30, 22:29
+
Elliott Clark 2013-07-30, 23:08
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-30, 23:53
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-07-30, 22:28
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-07-31, 00:39
+
James Taylor 2013-07-31, 03:20
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-07-31, 04:11
+
James Taylor 2013-07-31, 04:38
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-07-31, 16:55
+
Stack 2013-07-31, 17:31
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-07-31, 19:04
+
James Taylor 2013-07-31, 20:19
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-07-31, 20:34
+
James Taylor 2013-07-31, 20:44
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-07-31, 20:53
+
Elliott Clark 2013-07-30, 23:10
+
Stack 2013-08-03, 20:35
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-08-03, 21:08
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-08-03, 21:43
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-08-03, 22:10
+
Stack 2013-08-05, 15:31
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-08-05, 17:01
Elliott Clark 2013-08-14, 00:24
Any thoughts on HBASE-9121.  At it's heart it's just a version bump of
HTrace to 2.0 (fully released into maven central and available on
Cloudera's github).  The new version of htrace is modularized so that
hbase-client doesn't drag in any new dependencies on the client side.

Along with that modularization we would get the ability for 0.95/0.96
to relay to Zipkin producing some pretty useful info for stabilizing
the release(tracing is what found that scan pre-fetching was broken)
and very useful for our users.

For me I think that it's small enough that it would meet a higher bar
to get things into 0.95.  But since there were some thoughts on here
I've held off on comitting.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Clarification would be great. I read Elliot's veto of our work as based on
> both process and maturity concerns. Let's see how they stack up.
>
>> HFileV3:
>> * Showed up very late in the merge window
>
> Same
>
>> * Still needs revisions
>
> Has not even been reviewed yet. Depends on code only existing in a
> developer's private GitHub.
>
>> * Hasn't been put on large clusters publicly.
>
> Same
>
>> * Is not the green field HFileV3, and doesn't have time for a complete
> re-do
>
> Not applicable
>
>> * Can easily be done without out downtime
>
> Same
>
>> * Will 100% have perf impacts.
>
> See my other comment about perf impacts if V3 is used without tags.
>

> I have no objection to the trace work on technical grounds.
>

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > JIRA says that was created August 3, ie today, is that right?
>> >

>> Yes.
>>
>> (Elliott can clarify later when he gets in)  My understanding is that it is
>> an update to our bundled htrace jar -- pushing a new release -- and adding
>> some trace extra trace spans to expose where time is being spent during
>> MTTR.
>>
>> St.Ack
>>

> --
> Best regards,