HBase, mail # user - issue with thrift server pile up.

issue with thrift server pile up.
Jack Levin 2011-04-20, 22:45
Hello -- we have an issue that looks like this.   We have php app
front end and thrift servers that live on seperate boxes away from
HBASE cluster.  Everytime we do compaction on one of our 8 RS servers,
we cause a thread pile up on Thrift servers that delay _all_ queries
to HBASE.  Our usual level of threads on Thrift is around 250 threads,
but when we do a single compaction on a single region server, the
Thrift threads jump to about 5,000, which makes HBASE to be slow for
all regions , not just the one that compacts.   How does one solve an
issue like that?  I know with mysql we can setup slaves and just
redirect queries to slave zones that are faster, but what options do
we have to avoid HBASE slowdown as a whole?

-Jack