HBase, mail # user - RE: write throughput in cassandra, understanding hbase

Re: write throughput in cassandra, understanding hbase
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2013-01-22, 18:46
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM, S Ahmed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've read articles online where I see cassandra doing like 20K writers per
> second, and hbase around 2-3K.

Numbers with 0 context don't mean much, if at all.

> I understand both systems have their strenghts, but I am curious as to what
> is holding hbase from reaching similiar results?
>
> Is it HDFS that is the issue?  Or hbase does certain things (to its
> advantage) that slows the write path down?

Our writes are generally quite fast, I think at the moment some
improvements can be made at the client level. I did some tests last
year and I could get better throughput with the asynchbase client
compared to the normal Java client because the former has call queues
per region server. Both tests were using the same region servers,
uploading the same data set.

J-D