Hive >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] HCatalog becoming a subproject of Hive

+
Alan Gates 2012-11-02, 20:52
+
Namit Jain 2012-11-05, 04:35
+
Alan Gates 2012-11-06, 17:55
+
Namit Jain 2012-11-07, 04:06
+
Alan Gates 2012-11-12, 17:02
+
Namit Jain 2012-11-15, 06:22
+
Alan Gates 2012-12-03, 23:22
+
Edward Capriolo 2012-12-13, 19:59
+
Travis Crawford 2012-12-14, 01:31
+
Namit Jain 2012-12-14, 03:59
+
Carl Steinbach 2012-12-14, 18:05
+
Alan Gates 2012-12-18, 21:13
+
Travis Crawford 2012-12-19, 01:36
+
Carl Steinbach 2012-12-19, 19:33
+
Namit Jain 2012-12-20, 04:23
+
Ashish Thusoo 2012-12-20, 13:58
+
Carl Steinbach 2012-12-20, 22:02
+
Ashish Thusoo 2012-12-20, 23:56
Re: [DISCUSS] HCatalog becoming a subproject of Hive
+1.

Putting my marketing hat on (I don¹t think marketeers is a four-letter
word), touting Hive metastore as a sufficient metadata solution for other
platforms such as MR and Pig, is nothing to be ashamed of.

- Milind

---
Milind Bhandarkar
Chief Scientist,
Machine Learning Platforms,
Greenplum, A Division of EMC
+1-650-523-3858 (W)
+1-408-666-8483 (C)

On 12/20/12 3:56 PM, "Ashish Thusoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We are certainly not marketeers and no one as far as I know is teeing up
>for such a campaign. The intent here is certainly not to claim how great
>HCatalog is or how great Hive is. The intent here is to see what is best
>for the project and how great both are together.
>
>Ashish
>

>On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Carl Steinbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> > Would the project not benefit in the long run if Hcat is
>> > brought in and some day becomes the default metastore for Hive.
>>

>> Folks, can we please try to keep this straight? HCatalog on its own does
>> not provide any support for metadata. It is a set of wrapper APIs that
>>make
>> Hive's metastore and serdes accessible to Pig and MR. I think these
>> wrappers provide a lot of value, and I'm eager to see them merged into
>> Hive, but I'm dreading the marketing campaign that I suspect will
>>follow:
>> "Hive now supports metadata thanks to HCatalog!".

+
Bhandarkar, Milind 2012-12-27, 05:18
+
Bhandarkar, Milind 2012-12-20, 21:10