Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?
On 11/16/2011 03:51 PM, Nathan Roberts wrote:
>> > Another definition is that a major release permits incompatible changes,
>> > either in APIs, wire-formats, on-disk formats, etc.
> Are our wire formats stable enough in all release lines that we're ready to live by this?

No.  Long-term we'd like to only break wire-compatibility in major
releases, and ideally not even then.  So the set of things that have to
be compatible within minor releases does not currently include wire
formats, but we hope eventually will.

Doug