HBase, mail # user - Re: [Programmatic cluster monitoring] How to use the HBase monitoring APIs

+
Stack 2012-10-02, 04:29
Re: [Programmatic cluster monitoring] How to use the HBase monitoring APIs
techbuddy 2012-10-02, 05:52
Thanks for clarifying the usage part out Stack!

As for programmatic monitoring, I was trying to figure out how to extend the
already available metrics capture mechanism (available for Region server and
Master server processes) to dump some *custom *metrics into a file (using
the TimestampedFileContext) for downstream consumption by our graphing
solution. These custom metrics could be like # of minor compactions that
happened since the last poll time , or the rate of minor compactions over a
time window etc.

In other words,I was wondering if HBase monitoring framework supports some
kind of plugin development.
So, I'm not really looking at building a brand new monitoring solution, but
rather a way to extend the available set of metrics.

Does that make sense or do you think the available set of metrics (for
RegionServer,Master Server) are good enough.

-thanks
tb
PS : The available set of metrics, for e.g. the RegionServer are like Block
cache metrics, compaction metrics,IO, store metrics etc