Flume >> mail # user >> Best way for a newbie to learn flume

+
Sandeep Baldawa 2013-04-07, 18:45
+
Israel Ekpo 2013-04-07, 20:28
Re: Best way for a newbie to learn flume
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Awesome questions and I should have added these details in my question, am
learning flume more as a hobby, learning experience and a tech
enthusiastic(heard pretty good things about flume).

Thanks again for the instructions. Just one question about setting things
up, are instructions at
http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh/3/flume/UserGuide/relevant with the
latest build?, I liked the documentation in this link
which has a quick start guide too.
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Israel Ekpo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sandeep,
>
> Excellent questions.
>
> You asked "what problem Flume is trying to solve?".
>
> It think the more appropriate question is what problem you are trying to
> solve?
>
> This will go a long way in helping us understand which components of Flume
> you may need and how you need to set it up.
>
> Are you using Flume as part of your job or personal hubby? Are you using
> Flume for a course at school or part of an academic project?
>
> Going back to your original question, in the simplest terms, and for most
> use cases, Flume is a system designed for collecting and transporting large
> amounts of data and events from one or more sources and then aggregating
> the collected data in a centralized data store or for onward propagation to
> subsequent sources.
>
> You can use it for aggregating data from log files, network traffic, click
> streams, twitter and any other source that can generate events.
>
> Spend more time to review the user guide and you will find a lot of
> information and answers to prospective questions.
>
> http://flume.apache.org/FlumeUserGuide.html
>
> To install flume you will need to set up Java 1.6 and then make sure that
> it is available in your PATH and then download the latest version of Flume
> and decompress the tarball or zip file.
>
> You will need to set up the configuration file(s) for the agents based on
> the sources, channels and sinks you choose to use.
>
> I would recommend that you go ahead and get started with setting it up and
> let us know if you run into any issues.
>
> If you can share which use case and what problem you are trying to solve,
> someone can point you in the right direction.
>

> On 7 April 2013 14:45, Sandeep Baldawa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am a new user for flume and was wondering what was the best way to
>> learn about flume from a user's perspective.
>>
>> I am interested more in getting answers for the following questions
>> - What problem is flume trying to solve.
>> - How to install flume in the most simple way to understand the concepts.
>> - Am trying to follow http://flume.apache.org/FlumeUserGuide.html# and
>> am not sure if I can find a quick start guide here, can someone point me to
>> the correct link if possible.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sandeep

+